Till now we are studying about the three element in the circuit theory i.e. Resistor,inductor and capacitor.There is another element proposed by Leon Chua in 1971 known as Memristor (an invention that will change the circuit design in the 21 century). From 2008 HP is doing research on this element.
Memristors are basically a fourth class of electrical circuit, joining the resistor, the capacitor, and the inductor, that exhibit their unique properties primarily at the nanoscale. Theoretically, Memristors, a concatenation of “memory resistors”, are a type of passive circuit elements that maintain a relationship between the time integrals of current and voltage across a two terminal element.
In this diagram we take voltage current flux and charge along the sides of square and make a relation between adjacent then we came to know the resistance inductance and capacitance have a relationship as shown in figure but one block is empty i.e. there is no any relation between flux and charge. So Leon Chua invented this relation and proposed a new element known as memristor in 1971 and in this way fourth element came in to an existance. It is predicted that 20 element yet to come in future excluding these four element.
- Memristors can retain memory states, and data, in power-off modes which allow the system for quicker boot up since information is not lost when device is turned off.
- Use less energy and produce less heat. So heat sink is not required and the size of the machine will get reduced.
- Eliminates the need to write computer programs that replicate small parts of the brain.
- It has higher density which allow more information to be stored in small chip.
- Conventional devices use only 0 and 1. Memrister can use anything between 0 & 1.
- It is faster than flash memory (allow digital camera to take pictures with no delay).
- Non-volatile memory applications: Memristors can retain memory states, and data, in power-off modes which allow the system for quicker boot up since information is not lost when device is turned off. There are already 3nm Memristors in fabrication now by HP.
- Low-power and remote sensing applications: coupled with memcapacitors and meminductors, the complementary circuits to the memristor which allow for the storage of charge, memristors can possibly allow for nano-scale low power memory and distributed state storage, as a further extension of NVRAM capabilities. These are currently all hypothetical in terms of time to market.
- Crossbar Latches as Transistor Replacements :Solid-state memristors replace transistors in future computers, taking up a much smaller area. There are difficulties in this area though, although the benefits these could bring are focusing a lot of money in their development.
So with the inventions of this element the whole electrical circuit will change in future and library containing lakhs of books will be replaced by one single chip whose dimension will be 1cm square.
Hope u have got some research oriented information. If u have any query then please comment below.
To read about Ultra capcacitor, click here
To know some more article related to EE stream go to EE Article page.
Email id: email@example.com firstname.lastname@example.org FB id : https://www.facebook.com/sohail.ansari.itm Linkedin id : http://in.linkedin.com/pub/sohail-ansari/a6/64/7a5/